If you have a child in Grades 1-2 (or older), First Reconciliation & First Holy Communion Information applies to you.
First Reconciliation and First Communion
What an exciting time in the life for your family! We are looking forward to working together to prepare your child to receive their sacraments!
First Reconciliation and First Communion are generally received in the 2nd grade. Students must have successfully completed 1st grade Faith Formation and be actively participating in 2nd grade Faith Formation. For older students, two consecutive years of Faith Formation participation is required.
In order to receive the sacraments a child is required to have had 2 consecutive years of faithful attendance (defined as not missing more than 3 classes total in one year) in the Faith Formation program.
Catholic school children, those who attend a private Catholic archdiocesan school, are required to receive their sacrament at their home parish. Formation classes for these children are given at school. Attendance at our 2 workshops is asked of all families. be sure to complete a family registration form for your catholic school children (contact the Faith Formation Dept).
Order of Christian Initiation for Children
Children, 3rd through 12th grade, who have not received the Sacramental of Baptism and who have not received formal instruction in Faith Formation and have a desire to receive the Sacrament of First Reconciliation and First Holy Communion, please contact the Faith Formation Office to discuss your family faith formation options. These situations are discussed and evaluated on an individual basis. Call the Sacramental Coordinator at 678-992-2515.
SACRAMENTAL PREPARATION CHECK LIST
- Your family must be registered at St. Benedict Catholic Church and attend Mass.
- Regular attendance (maximum 3 absences) in our Faith Formation program. If the 1st year of faith formation was not at St. Benedict, we will need a record of your child successfully completing the program from your previous church.
- Please supply us with a copy of your child’s Baptismal Certificate with the full name of church and address.
- Parent(s) with their child receiving the sacrament, are required to attend two formation workshops, one focused on Reconciliation in the fall and the other focused on First Communion in the winter.
- Students will complete all lessons in class in preparation of their sacraments.