In this, the first year of the Journey to Confirmation, teens are taught by our enthusiastic and gifted volunteer catechists. They begin this year with an engaging 5-part series on the Mass called “Altaration“. Altaration is designed to stir thought, create conversation, dispel myths, and inspire young souls to a deep and lasting love for the Mass.
Next, they have lessons dedicated to learning to use resources (reading the Bible, the daily Missal, etc.) and the ten commandments.
Then they move into the weekly award-winning Chosen curriculum (Ascension Press). Chosen offers a powerful approach to teen faith formation that will both catechize and challenge teens to fully embrace a life in Christ. The Chosen lessons continue across both the 1st and 2nd year of the confirmation journey.
During the first year of the Journey, our teens are expected to
- Attend class weekly (with no more than 3 absences)
- Note: Be Proactive! If you know of a conflict during the year, your child is welcomed to attend another 8th grade class within the same week; classes are offered here Sunday- Wednesday. (example: your child wants to attend theater try-outs on their normal class day, no problem, just plan for her to attend the 8th grade faith formation class on Tuesday the instead); To do this, please contact the office ahead of time so we can pre-arrange your child’s attendance with the catechist, give you the class details (where, when, etc), and have their materials ready for them.
- Click here to access the Make Up Form.
- Attend Mass weekly
- Attend the 8th Grade Service Night in the PLC on Sunday, November 11th (takes the place of class that week- attendance required!)
- Participate in all in-class service hour opportunities
- Participate in the 8th/9th Grade Student and Parent Meeting
- This event is will be on August 19 and is exclusively for 8th and 9th graders and designed to build peer relations and familiarity with our faith and our church. Snacks will be provided.
- The Parent Meeting will happen at the same time from 3:00-4:30 pm; come find out about the entire Journey to Confirmation that your child is embarking on!
- Read the Faith Sharing Guide (optional)
Click here to go to Teen Events Page
New for 2018-2019:
We will be using remind to send announcements and invitations to events from the Youth Ministry Office this year instead of traditional emails. Parents and/or students are encouraged to sign up to stay up-to-date with what is going on in our program! Each grade has its own code. This code is only for 8th grade.
If you would like to receive push notifications on your smartphone, open your web browser and type rmd.at/kkeb4a Follow the instructions to sign up for Remind. You’ll be prompted to download the mobile app.
If you prefer to receive text notifications, text the message @kkeb4a to the number 81010. If you’re having trouble with 81010, try texting @kkeb4a to (832) 786-2579. * Standard text message rates apply.
If you prefer to receive emails from remind, go to rmd.at/kkeb4a on a desktop computer to sign up for email notifications.