In this, the first year of the Journey to Confirmation, teens are taught by our enthusiastic and gifted volunteer catechists. They begin this year with an engaging 5-part series on the Mass called “Altaration“. Altaration is designed to stir thought, create conversation, dispel myths, and inspire young souls to a deep and lasting love for the Mass.
Next, they have lessons dedicated to learning to use resources (reading the Bible, the daily Missal, etc.) and the ten commandments.
Then they move into the award-winning Chosen curriculum (Ascension Press). Chosen offers a powerful approach to teen faith formation that will both catechize and challenge teens to fully embrace a life in Christ. The Chosen lessons continue across both the 1st and 2nd year of the confirmation journey.
- Class Calendar
- Assignment Checklist
- VERY Important Links to Event Calendar, etc.
During the first year of the Journey, our teens are expected to
- Attend class weekly (with no more than 3 absences)
- Note: Be Proactive! If you know of a conflict during the year, your child is welcomed to attend another 8th grade class within the same week; classes are offered here Sunday, Tuesday or Wednesday. (For example: your child wants to attend theater try-outs on their normal class day, no problem, just plan for him/her to attend the 8th grade faith formation class on Tuesday instead); To do this, please contact the office ahead of time so we can pre-arrange your child’s attendance with the catechist, give you the class details (where, when, etc), and have their materials ready for them.
- Attend Mass weekly
- Attend the 8th Grade Service Night in the PLC on Sunday, November 17th (takes the place of class that week- attendance required!)
- Participate in all in-class service hour opportunities.
- Sign up for remind to receive important notifications, announcements, links to service opportunities, etc. See instructions under remind tab.
- Parents are to participate in the 8th/9th/10th Grade Parent Meeting on September 7th. Come find out about the entire Journey to Confirmation that your child is embarking on!
- Read the Faith Sharing Guide (optional)