In the second year of the Journey to Confirmation, teens are guided through the second half of the award-winning Chosen curriculum (first half covered in the first year of the Journey). Chosen utilizes a powerful and effective methodology with lessons designed to capture teens’ attention and present the faith in new and unexpected ways.
In addition to Chosen, we also teach the dynamic The Wild Goose series about the Holy Spirit. In The Wild Goose video series, Father Dave Pivonka, TOR, explains that The Holy Spirit has been given to us not as a possession to be tamed or controlled, but rather as a Person that will lead us to the Heart of God.
During the second year of the Journey, our teens are expected to
- Attend class weekly (with no more than 3 absences)
- Note: Be Proactive! If you know of a conflict during the year, your child is welcomed to attend another 9th grade class within the same week; classes are offered here Sunday- Wednesday. (example: your child wants to attend theater try-outs on Wednesday October 19th, no problem, just plan for her to attend the 9th grade faith formation class on Tuesday the 18th instead); To do this, please contact the office ahead of time so we can pre-arrange your child’s attendance with the catechist and give you the class details (where, when, etc).
- Make Up Form 2018-2019.
- Participate in the 8th/9th grade Student/Parent Meeting.
- This event is exclusively for 8th and 9th graders and designed to build peer relations and familiarity with our faith and our church.
- The Parent Meeting will happen at the same time from 3:00-4:30 pm; come find out about the entire Journey to Confirmation that your child is on!
- Attend Mass weekly
- Attend the 9th grade Service Night in the PLC on Sunday, January 13, 2019 (takes the place of class that week- attendance required!)
- Complete all assignments
|8/19/2018|| 8th/9th Grade Student and Parent Meeting 3:00pm-4:30pm
|1/13/2019||9th Grade Service Night|
|Beginning Week of April 14, 2019||Be prepared to discuss your chosen Saint in class|
|Week of May 5, 2019||Turn in Sponsor name and Letter of Verification|
|Week of May 5, 2019||Turn in Saint Report|
|Week of May 5, 2019||Service Hours Log Due|
Student and Parent Meeting– begins at 3:00 pm in the PLC. Teens and parents will separate for parent meeting. Snack to be served.
9th Grade Service Night– takes the place of class that week; Sunday night 6:15pm-7:30pm in the PLC
Service Hours– Log 10 service hours (at least 5 hours MUST be St. Benedict events; no more than 5 hours can be earned at a single event- ex: VBS week = 5 hours earned), must complete and turn in the service hour log sheet.
Saint Report– Choose the name of a Saint to be used as your confirmation name during the Sacrament of Confirmation. Answer the following questions about your saint using the Saint Report Template (see below):
- Saint name
- your saint’s feast day
- what is your saint the patron of
- a brief history of the saint (7 or more sentences)
- what do you admire about the saint (7 or more sentences)
- why did you choose the saint and how they will inspire your faith journey in the future (7 or more sentences)
REPORTS MUST BE TYPED AND HANDED IN AS A HARD COPY (you may turn in your work in the Youth Ministry mailbox in the hallway).
Note: Students will be presenting their Saint report in class (see the due date in the table above)
Sponsor– Select a sponsor (Who can be a Sponsor for Confirmation). Complete the Sponsor Verification Form. If the sponsor is not a St. Benedict parishioner, the sponsor’s home parish must complete the form and return it to St. Benedict’s Faith Formation Office. If the sponsor is a St. Benedict parishioner, compete the form and turn it into the office. We will verify the sponsor’s active participation in the church. You may also choose to complete the optional 2018-19 Faith Sharing Guide.